Overview of Year End Processing
At a high level, these are the steps to consider as you begin closing the books on 2015 and start fresh in the new year.
1. Backup Your DataExecuting a complete backup of your database is one of the most important things you can do before starting any closing process. You should also test the backup to ensure it was performed successfully and the data is readable.
If you make a mistake, the only way to “reverse” year end processing is to restore data from a backup.
2. Follow the Module Closing OrderA year end process in one module often writes data to another related module. Therefore, closing modules in the proper sequence is extremely important in order to avoid unexpected results or damage to your data.
For more detail and guidance, refer to the Module Closing article elsewhere on this website.
3. Follow the Module Closing ChecklistsStep-by-step checklists are available for most modules. These checklists provide guidance on the sequence of detailed tasks and procedures that should be performed within each module.
For more detail refer to the Year End Checklists article elsewhere on this website. In addition, these checklists are available right from within the Sage 100 Help system.
4. Get Help When Needed!Be sure to Contact Us if you have any questions before, during, or after you start year end processing. Especially if you have customizations or 3rd party add-on products that are integrated with Sage 100, we can help you plan a closing process for your specific system/installation.
TIP: Creating a Copy Company For Archive / Backup
At year end, it can be useful to create an archive company using the Copy Company feature. This provides a readily accessible copy (and backup) of the current year’s data even after you perform year end processing in your live company.
To make a copy company, go to:
Library Master > Main Menu > Company Maintenance
1. Create a new company code and company name (description) that’s easy to identify and distinguish from the live/active company that you’re copying.
2. Click the Copy button and enter the Company Code of your current year live (or “Source”) company.
3. Select the modules you want to copy to your archive company. To create a complete archive/backup, you’ll want to copy all modules. Click Proceed. Once the process is finished, click Accept.
Note: For good measure, you might run a trial balance in each module and do a quick spot check to make sure all the data that came over is balanced and accurate.
Watch the Video
Head over to YouTube to watch a recorded demonstration of the Copy Company process in action.
©2015 Juice Marketing, LLC. https://www.juice-marketing.com. All rights This article content may not be reproduced (in whole or in part), displayed, modified or distributed without express permission from the copyright holder.